October 28, 2008

Although I must admit I'm not as familiar with Geoff and Stacie as I once was, I'm sure they are a very cute couple and will have a nice wedding and cute kids and all that.
This week a building in Arapoangas was approved to be the new chapel for our Branch. We've been using the Planaltina chapel which is a bus ride away and a little bit inconvenient for the members and investigators of more humble circumstances. It will be nice to have our own meetinghouse now, close to home. I think a lot of inactive members will start coming back. I'm hoping the proximity will give a greater incentive to our investigators to be baptized and stay strong in the Church. Last week we brought 12 people, all visiting for the first time, and everyone loved it. But these people also have Churches that they've known for years right across the street from their houses. This new chapel will help a lot. Our Branch President has a goal for us (not just the missionaries, but as a Branch) to baptize 100 people before January.
I've mentioned this before, but I just want to say again what an honor it is to be working in Planaltina. There is nowhere in the world I would rather be than working here for the next 7 months. The First Presidency is aware of our work here and has given us a deadline of SIX MONTHS to have sufficient tithe-paying Melchizedek Priesthood holders here in order to have a Stake. I don't know what will happen if we don't reach our goal, I only know that we will. And my dream is that the Stake be announced just before I go home. The Planaltina District is the only District in Brazil that has a deadline to become a Stake. President Monson wants a Temple. God wants a Temple here. So I have no choice but to take this work seriously. I've had to repent of the laziness and bad attitude I've had in the past. I've had many spiritual experiences here that have given me greater faith, and I hope to have more in the future. I've never felt closer to the lord than at this time in my life. I hope I don't die.
This has nothing to do with my motive for working hard, but it's something interesting I wanted to mention... we were told this week of a promise given to us here that from THIS mission (meaning the Aidukaitis/Pizzirani era) there will come several Seventies and one Apostle. I think Elder Day will be the Apostle. Who knows.
I hope you got my other e-mail with my election pick. Let me know how that all works out. I also hope no one is mad at me for my choice. I ALSO hope everyone has a Happy Halloween! What is Socks going to be? I believe the basketball pre-season should be starting this week too. Tell all!
I have to ask for something for the Brazilians. They want candy. So please feel free to send a package full of American chocolate if it's not too expensive or inconvenient. I don't like asking for things (besides pictures). I have to say though, for me, I need pants. My pants are awful. They're all dirty and worn out and have stains that don't come out anymore. I don't look very clean. HELP!
Have a great week! I love you.
Jordan

No comments: