June 30, 2008

That's great that so many people in Arizona are coming to Brazil. I'll have people to talk to in Portuguese after the mission. That will be fun. I'll need someone to help me remember my Brazilian dirias. A lot of missionaries say they have a hard time when they get back with accidentally speaking Portuguese sometimes and that kind of thing. I don't know how it will be with me. But I do know that praying in English out loud will be difficult. I can't do it. It's weird.
So, despite our efforts over the last few days, we still know NOTHING of the transfers. No one in the mission office will say anything. We don't know if I'll stay or go, or if Elder Saldanha will stay or go, or if we'll both stay, or both go, or if the area will close. My guess is that we will both stay but nothing is certain. President apparently told the elders that work in the office not to tell ANYONE the transfers earlier than Monday night this time. We figure it's so secretive because there will be a lot of changes in the mission. 22 missionaries are leaving and not even half of that number are coming in. So some areas will have to close. There will also be a lot of new leaders in the mission, because a lot of them are leaving. Who know what's gonna happen. It's all I can think about.
Dad, your missionary story is so cool! I'm jealous. We haven't had anyone interested in weeks here. Isn't it fun to tell people about the gospel? I love teaching people about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon and all that in Portuguese. It would be interesting in English. I just love to teach people about something that makes so much sense for everyone, and to give them something that I know can only help them. There is a lot of joy in the actual preaching of the gospel. It's the parts in between that are hard, like going from one appointment to the other in the rain when it's cold and the dirt road turns into mud. But in the end it really all just becomes good experience. I'm genuinely grateful for all the times I've been rained on and all of that misery of my first few transfers.
Momma, are you still feeling bad? I hope you will forgive the person that cut you with the scissors. They probably feel awful about that. I'm sorry your job on the office won't work out, but I believe Dizzy in Nevada will still prosper greatly. Especially with Zach's help. Even though it would be a little crazy if you came to Brazil and found me, I would still be happy to see you. So think about it!
Dinner with the Biglers, huh? Sounds fun. Max laughed when I told him that. He's at the internet place with us. He says hi. I told him he needs to go to our house when he goes to the US in December. His English is decent but whenever I try to practice with him he gets embarrassed and quits. So don't be surprised if Sister Bigler ends up having to translate most of what he says when he's sitting in the living room.
I feel so alone in the mission right now because my father (Elder Maughan) is going home tomorrow morning. I don't know what to do. I feel old. I can't believe he and his group are leaving. Most of my friends in the mission are from that group. Including a few of my companions. So now I feel like I don't know anyone. I know some of Elder Redd's group but once they go in November, I'll only know Day, Valentine and Barton. Weird.
I'm at about 13 months now, right? Oh man! I'm almost home. I'm only thinking about the transfers and home today. I need to get focused.

I love you guys, have a great week!
Jordan

No comments: