December 3, 2007

Family, sorry I couldn't write you last week. There was a blackout over the whole city for an entire day, and it just happened to be on prep day. The power didn't come back on until the next morning so we had to do everything by candlelight. I was all about it. I was hoping the power would never come back on. Our showers are heated by the electricity though so after my second cold shower I was ready to come back to the modern era. Modern in The Brazil, which is more of a 1970's United States.
The weather has been beautful here lately. Everyday we wake up to thick fog, and fall asleep to the rain tapping on the windows. I love it. It's still dreadfully hot during the day though. It's really not that different than Arizona I guess but I don't really remember. The thunder in this place is louder than any thunder I have ever heard. It's amazing. And a little terrifying. I thought I was being struck by lightning just the other night.
I already have Fagan's mission address, I got it in the CTM. But thank you. What do you hear from his mother lately? Did their house burn down in the fires? I hope you guys have taken this leak in your bedroom as a sign to sell our house and buy or build a new one somewhere nearby, still in our same Ward, still in the orange trees. President and Sister Cardon should be coming home soon, right? January? I can't wait to see them. I'm going to have a hard time not calling him President Cardon. Did you know he was Presidente Aidukaitis' mission president many many years ago? In Sao Paulo I think. Small small world.
So I've reached the SIX MONTH mark! I don't know if this is a lot or a little. Both I guess. I'm feeling somewhat accomplished, but trying to stay humble. You won't see me being one of these missionaries who's six months in and already going around talking about how "I can hardly speak English anymore!" and "look how dirty my shoes are! I'm such a missionary!!" But I do feel like I'm at a point where I can begin to look back and see the progress I've made. There's some. My testimony has certainly grown. My knowledge of the gospel and of the Church as well. My love for the prophet and the leaders of the Church is great and I can't wait to see them in conference in person again one day. I truly love being a member of this Church and I do want to help people to see the sweet truth that exists in it. But ALAS, I remain a five year-old who can't speak very well or take care of himself on his own. And thus, I still don't really like the business of being a missionary. But I can't say I regret the time I've spent here. And when it's all said and done I don't imagine I will have regretted the last two years at all. I'm trying to be as obedient as I can so I don't end up like Oscar Schindler as I'm leaving the mission in the back of a Mercedes. "This... this pen! These shoes!" Maybe I'll be like that no matter what. It's too early to know very much, but what I do know is that in the "24" hours of my mission it's 6am, and the sun is just now finally coming up over the horizon, and there's a long day in front of me. Pray for me!
I loved your Thanksgiving pictures. I hope everyone got FAAAAT FAT FAT. I'd love to see more pictures of the animals. I haven't seen one picture of Pebbs since I left! I need one. Dad, I'm sorry to hear about the Huskies, but just yesterday I was daydreaming about being in Seattle, eating at 13 Coins and going to Barnes & Noble and a football game and man I wanted to die, it sounds so great. I don't even care if the Huskies lose every game in the "09 season, so long as we're there! Anyways, I love you guys. Have a wonderful first week of December. Let me know if it snows in Mesa again. Jordan

No comments: